Friday, May 25, 2012

New Look Dress Pattern 6968 Great Dress!

Bodice Front Darts and Fabric Pin
                                                               

This past weekend I finally finished a dress I started making about one month ago.  The dress was supposedly designed to replicate the dresses worn on Mad Men.
Although I absolutely love the dress and the way it fits, I dragged my feet making it simply because I had to insert an invisible zipper in a dress with a full lining.
The pattern calls for lining in just the bodice which struck me as odd.  Why not line the entire dress? Also the fabric I used is a lightweight woven which wrinkles easily.  A full lining would reduce the wrinkling and also eliminate the need for a slip (I know I sound like a dinosaur when I mention slips buy hey, I wear them.)
I read several rave reviews of New Look 6968 on patternreview.com.   Most posters also suggested lining the dress unless a knit fabric was used.
It had been awhile since I had inserted an invisible zipper in a lined dress.  So I looked for some info online and found a great blog where the blogger posted great directions for inserting an invisible zipper into a lining dress:  msjennyhomemaker.blogspot.com/2011   The directions were great and finally the zipper was in after dawdling for about 2 weeks.
I followed a Sandra Betzina suggestion to use pretty linings in clothing and so chose a multi-color stripe shantung for the lining.  Unfortunately the colors don't show up well in the photo.
I know I broke every rule in the 'book' for hemming the lining.   I trimmed the hem and then serged it.
The outer fabric hem ends slightly above my knee.   
A very good friend suggested making a fabric flower pin for the dress which I thought was a wonderful idea.  For the pin I combined the outer and lining fabrics.  The pin is shown in the photo at the top of this page.   I used sewritzy's fabric flower tutorial to make my pin:  sewritzytitzy.blogspot.com/2008/11/from-annas 
I wear the dress with a very narrow black belt and black sandals.  I shamelessly admit the dress looks and feels great. The lining was well worth the effort.
So I highly recommend New Look dress pattern 6968!!
Dress Front

Dress Lining

Dress Upper Front
 



No comments:

Post a Comment